- datetime and timezone handling in one lib
- no separate types for date and time
- hybrid approach: datetime combines incremental and field based representation (Unix time, year, month, etc. fields)
- relatively simple concept for time zone type (IANA-db file and/or offset from UTC)
- uses the TZif parser from the Zig standard library
This post is sort of a follow-up to What’s the state of datetime in Zig?. I’m happy that writing a library to handle datetime with time zones worked out well, Zig is fun to code in and its context (the community etc.) is nice. The goal for
zdt is “exploration”, not to build something according to some spec. There’s probably a lot to do better, and a lot of edge cases to catch.