How do you call someone who programs in Zig?

Zigist? Zigian? Ziger?

Ziguana?

8 Likes

Yep, Ziguana :zap: :lizard:

For instance, hereā€™s a community project that documents where the Ziguanas of the world live:

6 Likes

Oh, thanks for this! I saw this map some quite long time ago,
recently wanted to look at it again, but could not find by some reason.

1 Like

Programmer?

Personally I donā€™t understand this new trend to classify programmers.

5 Likes

Itā€™s kinda just about creating the community lore for fun, ya know :wink:

So glad that especially Loris and also the TigerBeetle gang really dig it! I mean, their browser game demo alone is nuts :star_struck:

I suggest ā€œZigsterā€ :grin:

2 Likes

It is sometimes useful to refer to a subset of all programmers. For instance, in ā€œZiguanas are discussing the possible creation of a centralized package indexā€ (the vast majority of the programmers donā€™t care and donā€™t participate).

1 Like

A ā€œProgrammerā€ lol - sorry, anti-joke

I think we settled on Ziguanaā€™s a while ago.

Iā€™m a Zigling. :smile:

5 Likes

I didnā€™t know programmers of particular languages had names. What is a C programmer called, a cist?

5 Likes

Off the top of my head, I can think of three programming languages with animal mascots and associated terms for their community members: Go - Gopher, Rust - Rustacean, Zig - Ziguana. I think itā€™s just a fun thing for the community to connect over, and in Zigā€™s case it makes for some nice illustrations in the release notes. Even some (relatively) older programming languages have mascots, such as Javaā€™s Duke.

2 Likes

I can recall that at 80s in Greece we called C programmers Cistas and Cista.
This ending is quite common. see: Pythonista

1 Like

still a ziglet, me

Ziguana is wonderful! Stand still for long time, then do some very quick movements. :slight_smile:
(0.12, where are you?)

My version is zigoteric = zig + esoteric :slight_smile:
Of course, Zig is definitely not an esoteric lang (as, for instance white-space).

I agree with this.

In Russia some guys sometimes call C programmers ā€œŃŠøшŠ½ŠøŠŗā€ (pronounced approximately as ā€œseesh-nickā€, with a stress on the first syllable of the word), and I HATE being named as that, I am just ā€œC programmerā€!!! :slight_smile:

but waitā€¦ did you mean exactly this iguana?

You win - you found the exact one, lol.

that was some random stop-frame from Genesisā€™s ā€œI canā€™t danceā€ video clip.

Today Iā€™m a Ziggurat! In other times Iā€™m a C-eerā€¦

A ā€œpersonā€ or any other way to refer to another. there isnā€™t really a need for more than that.