Tool for Helix

tools-helix

Hello, I made a small environment to work with “Helix” (Linux) but should be easily editable for those using Windows
for me, it replaces Vscode, the “Helix” editor is simple and comfortable.

3 Likes

Vim-like editors are definitely not my cup of tea (I’d rather use mcedit - Midnight Commander editor, not the Minecraft editor, if I had to code in terminal), but I think that adding Zig support to any editor is laudable.

2 Likes

wow, I’m not the only one who loves mcedit! :slight_smile:

As a long time Norton Commander, then Dos Navigator user, I find it much easier to use than Vim and Co. In fact, Dos Navigator’s editor was, perhaps, the pinnacle of text-mode editors (or terminal editors, if you can call it that).

But mcedit is pretty decent too.

P.S. In fact, there are versions of Dos Navigator for Linux ( https://github.com/unxed/dn2l , http://www.ndn.muxe.com/ ), too bad no install packages in the AUR…

Hello, @Durobot @dee0xeed
Helix, is not vim not emac, there are many possible commands, but in fact, we only use a few, apart from the normal insert modes… the replacement of crtl-C by Y and ctrl -V part R
and dig the search function with replaced, I only use Helix to code, the split is present, I do not see the disadvantage, but on the other hand ZLS is present and allows me not to have to compile for errors of syntax, I pass on the coloring (correct), if I have done a few batch modules it is only for comfort, if I use a VTE terminal it is only for security, in appearance , I don’t see any difference with another word processor for coding the selections with the mouse are there, except that it only does what I ask it to do.
But it is obvious that choosing an editor also means investing in its operation, especially when it comes to coding,

otherwise mousepad or notepad does the trick and for more vscode.
Afterwards, when we work for a while on the same source, I demand that the program not go into a tailspin, and that the footprint be modest.

I forgot the integrated mode, breathtaking explorer of the latest version espace -f

Me too. Many years ago I tried to switch to vim several times and a couple of times to emacs… but… they both did not hit the spot, it’s rather hard to kick many years habits.
Some systems have predefined set of editing tools and if there is a choice between vi and pico/nano I always prefer the latter.

It has a nice “Mark columns” feature, sometimes it is very handy.

vi? shudder No way. If was conceived in the dark ages.
nano is far from perfect, but it has a degree of user-friendliness, unlike vi.

If my memory serves me right some NASes have only vi & nano and you cannot install nothing.

Hello,
The tool is reaching maturity;

I’ve also provided an example to understand how it works.
Today, I no longer envy “VScode”;
I find it more secure, simpler, and it allows one to focus on a project.

There are macros in the “Helix” config that you can adapt.
The “.Terminal” folder is easily modifiable.
The “TerminalHx” folder allows you to build the “TermHX” terminal.
The “example” folder will show you how to take advantage of the “Helix” environment.

https://github.com/AS400JPLPC/zig-helix

Prerequisites: VTE3 and ZIG loll…, Helix

I tried using “VTE4” and spent the night on it, but it’s not quite there yet. I hope I haven’t forgotten anything in my Git. The reason I made changes is that while working on several projects, I made the “bash” macros transparent. I’m retired now and I need to step back to reread and see if it’s coherent, viable, and often after reading other projects or documentation, the design ideas become clearer.

4 Likes