The 0.17.0 release cycle will be short, they said

Remember Roadmap in 0.16 release notes? It is not short after all.

@andrewrk says this in zulip:

wow. what a detour. the 0.17 milestone continues to bless me with deceptively complex issues

#std > rubber ducking @ :speech_balloon:

I do not expect 0.17 to be released before the end of the month.

edit: a reply with most likes:

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking the same thing. It was supposed to be just updating LLVM.
I’m fine with letting them cook. It will be ready when it’s ready.

10 Likes

Sorry for off-topic but I am really eager to know:

having a working debugger is so nice

Is this sarcasm or is there a good way to enter debug mode in Zig? I have tried some of the LLDB solutions that people have suggested but I found it quite hard to get it right (not sure if it was my fault or it’s just buggy).

Idk about lldb but Gdb has always been kind to me for zig

3 Likes

I was waiting for 0.17 for the new LLVM version to move my C project from CMake to Zig build. I ended up just using an 0.17-dev version to get the new LLVM in Zig and that’s worked great for me :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The law of inaccurate engineering estimates remains unblemished. Fie!

21 Likes

Yes, if you have access to 0.17, I guess.

1 Like

I love NND on linux GitHub - al13n321/nnd: A debugger for Linux · GitHub
I don’t do incredibly complex debugging but this one is nice

2 Likes

My mistake was giving into the temptation to land the build system branch because I didn’t want it to rot. Problem is that it had a bunch of follow-up issues that really needed to be done before the tag, not the least of which was working with @Techatrix from ZLS team to make sure ZLS can continue to function correctly in 0.17. Those are the main release blockers at the moment.

On the other hand, the good news is that while the tag is delayed, progress on other features has not. For example, 0.17 will greatly increase the robustness and practical usability of incremental compilation, in particular with respect to debug information and linker capability. Similarly, the way that ZLS and build system communicate now opens the doors to some nice future enhancements.

With all that in mind, the fact that I didn’t successfully pull off a short release cycle means that there is still the need to do a short release cycle to catch up with LLVM.

66 Likes

I’m quite happy with this “delay”.

Things taste better when property awaited for.

Looking forward to incr-compile all sorts of things :grin:. Quietly looking forward

Is 0.17 still targeting LLVM 22 (with the auto vectorizer bug), or are you gonna jump straight to LLVM 23 ?

1 Like

It’s good to have a release for every version of LLVM because it means that for Linux distributions which only have 22 packaged, they will be able to package Zig 0.17.x as well. Of course, until make the main zig executable no longer depend on LLVM, LLD, and Clang libraries · Issue #16270 · ziglang/zig · GitHub is completed. Then Zig will have an independent release cadence.

15 Likes

I’ve been stuck on 0.15.2 due to https://codeberg.org/ziglang/zig/issues/31865 (causes any zig build command to fail on windows ARM). If 0.17 is gonna continue to be delayed, could we get a 0.16.1 release that fixes this so I can start upgrading everything?

P.S. It’s also starting to get awkward as 0.15.2 also fails on macos with Xcode 27…so if I stay on 0.15 I can’t run zig build on macos, if I upgrade to 0.16 I can’t run zig build on windows arm.

7 Likes

Welcome to Ziggit!

While I can piece together what some of your sentences might mean, I’m having trouble putting them together into any coherent thought related to Andrew’s message, or anything else in this thread, for that matter. What does come across is that your tone feels somewhat hostile. So I have two recommendations for you:

  1. Please be polite and respectful, even if you are frustrated or if what you want to say is a complaint. Communicating with people on the internet for the first time is no different from interacting in-person with someone you don’t know. Keep in mind that just as you are free to think whatever you want, everyone else is free to disregard your thoughts, and using condescending or aggressive language will only encourage the latter.
  2. If you do not feel fluent enough in English to compose your thoughts or verify that the output of a translation service is reasonable, feel free to just post in your native language and let others use the translation service of their choosing.
9 Likes

A few days ago the last issue with the 0.17 milestone was closed. So hopefully fingers crossed it will come soon.

:eyes:

5 Likes

An hour ago @andrewrk said:

approximately 22 hours until download page updated and release notes go up

#ecosystem > general chat @ :speech_balloon:

10 Likes