really cool conference, makes it more personal to see everyone involved closely, and surprisingly optimistic about the 1.0 roadmap, given what they already achieved and what they list as “requirements” it seems closer than I thought, in my mind Zig would probably get 1.0 further than 2030, but it seems like it might happen sooner, the incremental compilation is already very much working, the language specification is being written, the aarch64 backend if I remember is pretty advanced, the dependency on LLVM is thinner by the minute, and there’s already plenty of documentation for both the stdlib and the build system, so there’s a chance 1.0 could land in 2030 or even before, at least from this list it doesn’t seem far fetched. In any case great presentation Andrew! and thanks to every member of the team involved in the development of Zig.
Thanks for the very informative talk, I loved the core team presentation.
As always, great talk, very interesting to dive deeper into the team dynamics. Also I really like the more social/political/economic ideas behind the ZFS.
I have a question for Andrew if he stubles upon this:
Is there anything you wanted to add regarding the current git forge situation? I am currently revolving around how the general idea of a git forge can be improved on, and the actual implementation. It seemed like you got lost there for a second, but wanted to add something. It would be very valuable to share if there is more to it. ![]()
I’ll join you on the question, I’m curious to hear more. I think what could be really cool with git/forge and even more with things like CI/CD for example, is if there was a system akin to the peer to peer torrent, where everything is basically distributed and decentralized, where everyone can dedicate resources to host part of it. I remember of a program on windows for scientific computing where you could if i recall correctly participate by installing the program and basically computing stuff for them.
two things i’m excited for in this space are Radicle (mentioned in the talk, but briefly; I believe Andrew says Zig is “Radicle-curious”) and Manganin, which is a good deal earlier on, but for which I can put a face to the name in a way that I can’t with Radicle.