Seeking Zig Wizards for a Next-Level Remote Desktop Project

Hello Zig Enthusiasts,

I’m the founder of a fast-evolving startup aiming to reshape the remote desktop landscape. Backed by a $16M valuation, we’re crafting a Zig-based solution focused on speed and reliability, setting a new industry standard similar to what Parsec has achieved.

Our team is comprised of seasoned pros — ex NASA, Google, Apple, and Amazon — people who’ve worked on projects where precision and innovation are non-negotiable. We’re not just another remote desktop company; we’re building a distributed system designed to operate on a global scale.

We’re on the lookout for Zig developers who get excited about deep system programming challenges — think low-latency networking, robust distributed architecture, and performance optimization that can squeeze out every bit of efficiency from the hardware.

We offer an attractive package of top salary plus equity, reflecting the high stakes and high impact of the work you’ll do.

If you’re drawn to tough problems and have the skills to solve them, let’s talk. Reach out for a conversation about how you can contribute to a project that’s set to redefine remote computing.

If you’re interested, reach out to team@shaga.xyz.

Best,
Guido

9 Likes

Great idea, seems like an existing project!

I am just curious and was wondering how do you feel about using Zig, as it is still not completely stable (the package manager is not completely finished yet for example)? I believe Andrew himself warned about using Zig in a production project. (see my reply below)

You can see the Bun guys sometimes having to reckon with breaking change: std: remove meta.trait by andrewrk · Pull Request #18061 · ziglang/zig · GitHub.

That’s not necessarily a show stopper. If you are involved in the community you can always anticipate those things. And if you’re not after the latest Zig features you can always live with released versions I guess.

Anyway, seems like an exciting project, good luck to you and please keep us posted on the forum!

2 Likes

We’d love to help push forward the Zig ecosystem as a whole, our code would be definitely source available and possibly open source, since our goal is to build an open and auditable protocol!

Would be awesome if we got some referrals going, as we’d love to contribute to Zig’s growth and maturement :slight_smile:

cc @dude_the_builder (loved your yt videos :eyes:)

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I remember back when I was doing IT, a certain remote desktop client was the source of too many issues. It would be nice to see it replaced with something reliable.

1 Like

citation needed :wink:

5 Likes

if you could help with some referrals that’d be awesome, we can arrange a bounty for that as well :v:

2 Likes

hey andrew, big fan of your work here. trying to help the Zig ecosystem growth, is there anything we can do to speed up times? obviously not throwing money at the problem but helping with engineering capacity

also, if you could give us a shootout it would be great, as i mentioned we’re working on an open and auditable protocol so it could be something good for the ecosystem :v:

1 Like

It’s great that your project will be open source and openly auditible protocol. Curious whether you have evaluated existing landscape. Not saying it fits, but more as a source of inspiration – the history behind Pion the WebRTC project in Golang. It was an open standard, but nothing was easily available in Go at the time. Would be awesome if the Shaga project becomes a jumping point that spawns many remoting, peering, streaming related projects by others in the community :rocket:

2 Likes

I apologize for spreading false information. I was almost certain to have read/heard that from you which, after a cursory search, is incorrect.

I amended my original post.

1 Like

Is this the project you’re recruiting for? Or is this a different Shaga?

2 Likes

yup, old drafts from May 2023, current alpha code is at GitHub - ShagaDAO/Shaga-Monorepo: Peer2Peer Cloud Gaming Protocol based on Sunshine (Server side), Moonlight (Client side) leveraging Solana for secure pairing & payments

I built an MVP for a hackathon leveraging Moonlight & Sunshine and now migrating to a new codebase

2 Likes