Panic when using StringHashMap as a simple set

i’m using a std.StringHashMap as a simple set – which is to say that the value type is void… the only functions i use are contains() and put()

while i’ve used this idiom elsewhere in my code, it seems to be doing nasty things in this case…

now here’s the strange part… if i use std.StringArrayHashMap instead, everything works just fine!!!

i do have a workaround – but at the same time, there might be a deeper issue in the runtime library that’s worthy of investigation… as i try to create the smallest example that illustrates this problem, is there anything else i should be mindful of??? is this a “known” problem??? etc.

thread 6052 panic: reached unreachable code
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\debug.zig:403:14: 0x419a3d in assert (zig-em.exe.obj)
    if (!ok) unreachable; // assertion failure
             ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1074:19: 0x4e0c5a in putAssumeCapacityNoClobberContext (zig-em.exe.obj)
            assert(!self.containsContext(key, ctx));
                  ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1576:58: 0x4d1aa4 in grow (zig-em.exe.obj)
                    map.putAssumeCapacityNoClobberContext(k, v, ctx);
                                                         ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1512:30: 0x4ad318 in growIfNeeded (zig-em.exe.obj)
                try self.grow(allocator, capacityForSize(self.load() + new_count), ctx);
                             ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1333:34: 0x486992 in getOrPutContextAdapted__anon_10099 (zig-em.exe.obj)
                self.growIfNeeded(allocator, 1, ctx) catch |err| {
                                 ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1318:56: 0x4690de in getOrPutContext (zig-em.exe.obj)
            const gop = try self.getOrPutContextAdapted(allocator, key, ctx, ctx);
                                                       ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:1244:52: 0x43ee0a in putContext (zig-em.exe.obj)
            const result = try self.getOrPutContext(allocator, key, ctx);
                                                   ^
C:\tools\zig-dev\lib\std\hash_map.zig:552:45: 0x4066e3 in put (zig-em.exe.obj)
            return self.unmanaged.putContext(self.allocator, key, value, self.ctx);

My guess would be that you are unintentionally making a copy of the StringHashMap somewhere and modify it, then continue using the original which has corrupted meta data (Because the copies meta data was updated, but not the original).
Then the error probably happens because the original still thinks it has remaining capacity, while that was already used through the copy and the pointers in the original aren’t valid anymore.

Probably the StringArrayHashMap would hit a similar issue, it just might be that it works with a different capacity and maybe the capacity isn’t reached there yet, making the bug less noticeable.

But I can’t really say without seeing the code.

Make sure the uses of your StringHashMap instance exist at the same address and be careful about how you create it and move it into the location from where it is supposed to be used. Basically compare addresses to see whether you end up with a unwanted copy somewhere.