Customization of tree view display during custom zig build step

Im playing around with implementing system tests dispacher as build step, but lack of visualization when running zig build my-step will get confusing really fast as the only thing I see is

test-stress
└─ run exe test-stress

I remember that something was changed some time ago about this tree view, but I cant find it now.

I suspect that Run.enableProtocolMode() but I havent seen any difference when enabling it in my step, besides --listen=- argument being added and positional args being removed.

I want in the end have something like

test-stress
└─ run exe test-stress
   └─ scenario 0/69
      └─ clients: 2
      └─ servers: 1
      └─ timeout: 1s

to just know what is currently running.

Use std.Progress to report info, it is the fancy progress you see when running the Zig compiler/build system, I checked to be sure and the build system does set it up for run steps.

You don’t need to do anything special, the API will automatically report over a pipe given by the ZIG_PROGRESS env var, or if that’s not present it prints the fancy graph to stderr.

However, the API is limiting in that you can only start, end, and increment tasks (with names ofc).