Is it Ok to use std.heap.page_allocator directly?

I’ve very often seen examples using std.heap.page_allocator firectly as the main allocator in a program. I was under the impression that this allocator always allocates at least a full page of memory no matter how small the actual requested size is. So is it OK to use this allocator directly or should it only be used as a child allocator when using other higher-level allocators?

4 Likes

I use the page allocator as sort of the “testing” allocator when I’m in a main block. since it’s just one line of code and pretty much guaranteed to work. other than that, I was thinking that if you wanted to allocate some memory when loading your application, and you don’t intend to do any re-allocations (or very few), then the page allocator might also be good for that purpose.

EDIT: Though if you knew the size of the allocation you wanted to make in advance, the FBA might be better for this purpose. Also if you are working for OS-specific APIs, then there could be some cause there to use the page allocator.

1 Like

That’s true, but it’s not the end of the world. A page has usually 4096 bytes. You can store 512 usizes in a page, which isn’t that much.
This allocator has the benefit that resizing is very straightforward and cheap. You can always resize it until it reaches the next multiple of 4096. There’s no need to store any state and this requires minimal math, so it works well with an ArrayList, that tries to resize before making a new allocation.

4 Likes

Aside from the potentially excessive memory use from allocating at least one page of memory for each new allocation, it’s also potentially not good for performance because each new allocation also requires a syscall (e.g. mmap), unlike higher-level allocators which can often just partition up existing mapped memory in user space and avoid context switching.

There are certainly cases where this might not matter, such as @LucasSantos91’s example of an expanding ArrayList, but most programs will end up making use of smaller, non-resizable allocations, where the disadvantages of page_allocator will begin to show through. So, I would not recommend it in general-purpose examples unless paired with a higher-level allocator, to avoid giving new users the impression that page_allocator is a good default choice.

As a side note, the language reference has a nice section on choosing an allocator: Documentation - The Zig Programming Language As it notes, if you’re already linking libc, then std.heap.c_allocator offers a good level of performance and has the same level of convenience as page_allocator (global, no initialization or deinitialization needed).

5 Likes

My answer is essentially “no”:

Not directly related, but here’s some info regarding page_allocator being used as the backing allocator for an ArenaAllocator:

6 Likes

I need to make sure I understand this. So say I use the page_allocator to allocate 1 page of 4096 bytes, then I fill an ArrayList backed by the same allocator with 4096 bytes. Can I assume that only one allocation is being done here, and thus the pointers will remain valid for the lifetime of the program, so long as I don’t append any more data to the ArrayList?

There are a few ways to interpret your question, so here’s some code with a few different examples:

const std = @import("std");

pub fn main() !void {
    // Fill a normal ArrayList with page_size bytes.
    // This depends on the 'better capacity' calculations that the ArrayList
    // does to reduce the number of allocations when growing.
    std.debug.print("Fill a normal ArrayList with page_size bytes\n", .{});
    {
        var counting_allocator = CountingAllocator.init(std.heap.page_allocator);
        const allocator = counting_allocator.allocator();

var array_list = std.ArrayList(u8).init(allocator);
        defer array_list.deinit();

var last_capacity: usize = 0;
        for (0..std.mem.page_size) |i| {
            try array_list.append('a');
            if (array_list.capacity != last_capacity) {
                std.debug.print(" append #{}: capacity grew to {}\n", .{ i + 1, array_list.capacity });
            }
            last_capacity = array_list.capacity;
        }

counting_allocator.summary();
    }

// initCapacity with one page of data
    // This doesn't depend on the behavior of page_allocator at all, the allocator
    // could be swapped out for any other allocator and the behavior would be the same.
    std.debug.print("\ninitCapacity with one page of data\n", .{});
    {

// This will only allocate once as long as the array doesn't need to resize
        // at any point.
        var array_list = try std.ArrayList(u8).initCapacity(
            allocator,
            std.mem.page_size,
        );
        defer array_list.deinit();

for (0..std.mem.page_size) |_| {
            try array_list.append('a');
        }
        // Any more append calls would require the ArrayList to resize
        // and allocate.

}

// Allocate one page and then use it as the buffer for an ArrayList
    // This doesn't depend on the behavior of page_allocator at all, the allocator
    // could be swapped out for any other allocator and the behavior would be the same.
    std.debug.print("\nAllocate one page and then use it as the buffer for an ArrayList\n", .{});
    {

const one_page = try allocator.alloc(u8, std.mem.page_size);
        defer allocator.free(one_page);

// initBuffer is new as of https://github.com/ziglang/zig/pull/18067
        // Calling any function that takes an allocator is a footgun from
        // here on out.
        var array_list = std.ArrayListUnmanaged(u8).initBuffer(one_page);

for (0..std.mem.page_size) |_| {
            array_list.appendAssumeCapacity('a');
        }
        // Any more appendAssumeCapacity calls would invoke illegal behavior:
        // panic: reached unreachable code
        // lib/std/array_list.zig:1056:19: in addOneAssumeCapacity
        //    assert(self.items.len < self.capacity);

}
}

// modified version of https://github.com/nektro/gimme/blob/master/src/CountingAllocator.zig
const CountingAllocator = struct {
    child_allocator: std.mem.Allocator,
    total_bytes: u64 = 0,
    allocs: u64 = 0,
    attempted_resizes: u64 = 0,
    in_place_resizes: u64 = 0,

pub fn init(child_allocator: std.mem.Allocator) CountingAllocator {
        return .{ .child_allocator = child_allocator };
    }

pub fn allocator(self: *CountingAllocator) std.mem.Allocator {
        return .{
            .ptr = self,
            .vtable = &.{ .alloc = alloc, .resize = resize, .free = free },
        };
    }

fn summary(self: *CountingAllocator) void {
        std.debug.print(" {} total bytes requested\n", .{self.total_bytes});
        std.debug.print(" alloc was called {} times\n", .{self.allocs});
        std.debug.print(" {} out of {} attempted resizes were able to resize in place\n", .{ self.in_place_resizes, self.attempted_resizes });
    }

fn alloc(ctx: *anyopaque, len: usize, ptr_align: u8, ret_addr: usize) ?[*]u8 {
        var self: *CountingAllocator = @ptrCast(@alignCast(ctx));
        self.allocs += 1;
        const ptr = self.child_allocator.rawAlloc(len, ptr_align, ret_addr) orelse return null;
        self.total_bytes += len;
        return ptr;
    }

fn resize(ctx: *anyopaque, buf: []u8, buf_align: u8, new_len: usize, ret_addr: usize) bool {
        self.attempted_resizes += 1;
        const old_len = buf.len;
        const stable = self.child_allocator.rawResize(buf, buf_align, new_len, ret_addr);
        if (stable) {
            self.in_place_resizes += 1;
            if (new_len > old_len) {
                self.total_bytes += new_len;
                self.total_bytes -= old_len;
            } else {
                self.total_bytes -= old_len;
                self.total_bytes += new_len;
            }
        }
        return stable;
    }

fn free(ctx: *anyopaque, buf: []u8, buf_align: u8, ret_addr: usize) void {
        return self.child_allocator.rawFree(buf, buf_align, ret_addr);
    }
};

Running this on Linux gives:

Fill a normal ArrayList with page_size bytes
 append #1: capacity grew to 8
 append #9: capacity grew to 20
 append #21: capacity grew to 38
 append #39: capacity grew to 65
 append #66: capacity grew to 105
 append #106: capacity grew to 165
 append #166: capacity grew to 255
 append #256: capacity grew to 390
 append #391: capacity grew to 593
 append #594: capacity grew to 897
 append #898: capacity grew to 1353
 append #1354: capacity grew to 2037
 append #2038: capacity grew to 3063
 append #3064: capacity grew to 4602
 7665 total bytes requested
 alloc was called 2 times
 12 out of 13 attempted resizes were able to resize in place

initCapacity with one page of data
 4096 total bytes requested
 alloc was called 1 times
 0 out of 0 attempted resizes were able to resize in place

Allocate one page and then use it as the buffer for an ArrayList
 4096 total bytes requested
 alloc was called 1 times
 0 out of 0 attempted resizes were able to resize in place

You can see what @LucasSantos91 was talking about in action with the first example, since most growth of the ArrayList was able to be handled via successful resize instead of needing a new allocation.

If/when std.array_list: Add *NoResize functions to ArrayListUnmanaged by notcancername · Pull Request #18361 · ziglang/zig · GitHub is merged, then the NoResize functions can be used to make the third example nicer (they will return an error if the ArrayList needs to resize, whereas the AssumeCapacity functions will invoke illegal behavior).

Also of interest is the growth algorithm of ArrayList:

Note that it depends on both the current capacity and the requested capacity. Note also that this calculation is not done during initCapacity–that will always allocate exactly the requested size.

6 Likes