Is anybody using the Helix text editor with zig?

Hello,

I put in my “HELIX” repository a function that allows you to do real debugging with LLDB

The debug mode with HELIX is experimental, it does not work completely, for example, we do not obtain the value of the variables in the submodules in a clear way. With the LLDB program you have a complete mode, lldb-vscode is a derivative of lldb

But it’s strictly the same with VSCODE

I trued helix professionally but the support for C# was not good. Which languages do you use profesionally?

Good morning,
I arrive from big System more than 40 working.
I am retired
C/C++ Nim-lang and there for a year ZIG-LANG (I wanted something reliable and concise) I could have taken RUST, but cargo etc put me off… and the Zig build file is clear and very consistent. The language is enriched with @usual functions (they existed, but not as such.), I particularly like cross-references, something I only experienced on big System.

Today, I am working on a 2D designer to create light and industrial interfaces.

I have made a few editors, I think it is reliable, yes, there are no plugins, but there is more than what I use to write code,
around fifteen functions. He explains that it’s not finished, I saw that the debugger was going to arrive, as for the error return when compiling with positioning, it’s a luxury :sweat_smile:, already with LSP + grammar, more 95% fewer errors. Logic errors are tested with debugging in different forms.

@bientôt :innocent:

there is an LSP standard, respected by all the major players. The grammar, you can enrich it by reusing the file, it is perhaps not kept up to date, that’s what I did with Enscript I made the zig.st file from A-Z.

Good morning,
like @AndrewCodeDev, I couldn’t escape the terminal shutdown and oh my, anyway. idem vscode
I took my little terminal and adapted it for HELIX
here are some specifications:

Consideration of a mini Terminal based on the VTE3 library.
More security (no "close" button) only ALT-F4 or normal closing of the "Helix" editor.
Very light. TermHx 8mo
Font "Noto Sans Mono".
We obtain the same rendering as "xfce4-terminal".
Possibility of having several working sessions (attention LSP will suffer).
No more keys to configure in the terminal
All keyboard keys are available. Except Alt-F4
23 kb > terminal 

it was while working on my project that I was able to really appreciate HELIX
and see how it all fits together.
with surprises and bonuses
in my environment, I have:
a real editor,
a debugger,
a correct paper edition,
monitoring my work,
the best I have ZIG-LANG :innocent: :sweat_smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :rage: :rofl: :rofl:

https://github.com/AS400JPLPC/zig-helix

2 Likes

Sorry for replying late. I use C, bash and Python in my job mostly. I can see that C# and maybe Java might not work so well with Helix compared to an IDE.

For me it’s C/C++, Python, Rust mostly. Rust is what I would like to use more and more professionally. And, not to forget, Zig (which sadly I do not find a lot of time to learn properly). I switch between Emacs, Vim, and Helix a lot. Most of the time Emacs, but Helix caught my attention because of Treesitter (now also in Emacs 29) and the language server (LSP) stuff. The future of debugging with a similar choice of programs cooperating with any text editor will be a big thing (but also a big TODO), but might take time to show up.

1 Like